Calif. prison medical receiver defends system


By DON THOMPSON Associated Press

SACRAMENTO, Calif.—A court-appointed receiver who controls medical care in California prisons said Thursday a report criticizing the quality of inmate treatment is outdated and does not reflect recent improvements.

The prison system‘s independent inspector general reported earlier this week that just nine of the 33 adult prisons met minimum health care standards, even after taxpayers spent billions of dollars to improve treatment.

Receiver J. Clark Kelso said the report should have noted that a second round of inspections at five of the 33 prisons this year showed care is improving.

“The information that we’re now getting on the second round of inspections provides, I think, a much more accurate picture of where we currently are,” he said. “Suffice to say, things are changing and improving pretty quickly.”

He called the inspector general’s report, issued Wednesday, “a misleading snapshot of where we are today.”

The inspector general is tracking prison medical care at the receiver’s request, using criteria established by the receiver. The first full review was completed toward the end of last year.

“I wouldn’t say it’s an outdated snapshot,” said Renee Hansen, spokeswoman for the inspector general’s office. “It’s a compilation of the first 33 reports, and we have released five since. We do agree there have been improvements for the most part—some smaller, some larger.”

The receiver was appointed by the federal courts and took control of the prison medical system in 2006 after the quality of care was determined to be unconstitutional.

Read More @ The Mercury News

Advertisements

One thought on “Calif. prison medical receiver defends system

  1. What improvement?
    Why does it take 9 months for an inmate to get physical therapy on an injury they (the prison) created? He was hospitalized for emergency gall bladder surgery, spent 10 days in the hospital and upon his return they insisted on him taking a double dosage amount of his epilepsy med’s, even after he told them it was wrong. He’s an epileptic and that dosage sent him back into the hospital with severe injuries from a fall on the concrete. Injuries were a dislocated shoulder, wrist broken in 3 places, a cracked rib and having to place a bar under his eye to hold it in the socket. 9 months it took to get therapy and still can’t get his med’s right. This could have been prevented. So who is paying for all of this? We are, the tax payers so they don’t care.

    Like

Leave a Reply

Please log in using one of these methods to post your comment:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s